Thursday, June 16, 2011

Santa Rosalia - June 1 – June 15, 2011

We all left early Wednesday morning to get to the marina in Santa Rosalia and into a slip for the first time in about 6 weeks. We pulled in about noon and were tying the boat up with help from the marina guys when the accident happened. I was getting lines out of the forward locker on the deck and didn’t bungee the door to the rail. The door slammed down on my big toe and almost cut it off. Susan and Brenda ran on deck to help me. The Mexican Navy was having a conference in the parking lot near the marina and 2 medics came down to help out. Next, they put me on a backboard, carried me up the ramp and into the ambulance. The hospital was a 5 minute ride up the hill. X-rays took 10 minutes, stitching the toe back together and putting a splint on the broken bones took about an hour, another 15 minutes to pay the $60 bill and we were back on the boat by 2:30. If I had to have an accident, I’m glad I was near such great help.

Eric and Brenda did an excellent job of being my doctor and nurse to change the bandages and clean up the wound. Rick and I couldn’t have done it without them.

Eric and Brenda changing the bandage

The Hospital


Relaxing with the foot elevated

That night was Marilyn’s birthday, so everyone went into town to a restaurant to celebrate. I stayed on the boat but, Rick took pictures and brought back some enchilada’s for me. Marilyn was all dressed up and looked so nice.

Happy Birthday Marilyn

Wheelchair ramps all over town.

About a week after the accident, I had my first outing into town in a wheelchair. This town is very wheelchair accessible, ramps everywhere. 

In the Wheelchair at the Hot Dog Stand

Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs

Hot Dogs with the softest buns!

I’ve been out 3 or 4 times. Once to the Hotel Francis for breakfast then over to the Mining Museum. We’ve also been to a few restaurants around town, in the wheelchair.

Brenda and Pam at Hotel Francis for Breakfast

The Mining Museum

June 12, Monday, I got the stitches out. Not a fun day and the next day wasn’t  good either. I had quite a bit of pain. I’m sure it will get better soon. 2 more weeks of not walking on my foot to let the broken bones mend and the swelling go down. I’ve read many books and watched many movies while I’ve been stuck inside the boat. Thankfully we have air-conditioning.
Going into town for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment